The 91st National FFA Convention & Expo wrapped up on Saturday Oct. 27, 2018 in Indianapolis with the announcement of the 2018-2019 National Officer Team. Adrian Schunk of Mason, Michigan was elected to serve as Eastern Region Vice President.
Adrian grew up in Mason and is a member of the Mason FFA Chapter. As a high school freshman, she realized a passion for leadership and growth while competing in the Creed Speaking Career Development. She is currently studying communications and agribusiness management at Michigan State University, in the hopes of pursuing a career in leadership development in the agriculture industry.
“To me, serving in this role provides the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of FFA members and the agriculture industry,” said Schunk. “I cannot wait to encourage members to step outside of their comfort zone, help them find their passions and walk alongside them as they pursue their potential.”
Pete Barnum is the advisor for the Mason FFA. He’s seen Adrian rise through the ranks, from successes with the Mason FFA, 2017-1018 President of the Michigan FFA, and now Eastern Region VP on the national level.
"The Mason FFA is incredibly proud of Adrian," Barnum said. "When I first got to know her as a freshman in my Zoology class I could sense there was something special. She would ask questions and genuinely listen! I never imagined then all that she would accomplish. Throughout her time as an FFA member she has left a mark on the Mason FFA Chapter, Region IV and the Michigan Association. I am confident she will continue to leave a legacy of excellence and selflessness, now at the national level. I truly believe that Adrian is exactly what this world needs at this exact moment!"
Along with Adrian, students from California, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Alabama and Oregon were elected by delegates throughout the U.S. to represent the organization as national officers as president, secretary, and vice presidents representing the central, southern, eastern, and western regions of the country.
2018-2019 National FFA Officer Team
- Luke O’Leary, an agricultural leadership and development major at Texas A&M University, elected national president.
- Layni LeBlanc, an animal science – science and technology major at Louisiana State University, elected national secretary.
- Adrian Schunk, a communications major at Michigan State University, elected eastern region vice president.
- Ridge Hughbanks, an agribusiness major at Oklahoma State University, elected central region vice president.
- Jordan Stowe, an agriscience education major at Auburn University, elected southern region vice president.
- Shea Booster, an agricultural business management major at Oregon State University, elected western region vice president.
National officers commit to a year of service to the National FFA Organization. Each officer travels more than 100,000 national and international miles to interact with business and industry leaders, thousands of FFA members and teachers, corporate sponsors, government and education officials, state FFA leaders, the general public, and more. The team will lead personal growth and leadership training conferences for FFA members throughout the country and help set policies that will guide the future of FFA and promote agricultural literacy.