This growing season has proven challenging. When it comes to the Michigan wheat crop, fields are showing extremely varied maturity and the potential for variable vomitoxin results.
As farmers prepare for harvest, the Michigan Agricultural Commodities (MAC) will be offering free vom testing and grading at each of their locations and providing the results to customers as quickly as possible. Once full-speed harvest begins, they will evaluate the ability to continue to offer this testing while maintaining high-quality service during wheat delivery.
If you are concerned about the quality of your wheat and would like it tested, the MAC can help!
- Testing results are likely to vary across a field.
- It is important to bring in a representative sample, so the MAC encourages collecting from multiple locations throughout the field in order to get the most accurate results possible.
- Bring in full heads of wheat to your local MAC facility.
- MAC will thrash and dry the kernel samples as needed.
- A minimum of 1 pound is needed for testing vom only. A 2-pound sample is needed to run all factors, vom and falling number.
- After sampling, the MAC will provide results to customers as quickly as possible.
They will also be offering their shrink only program for both red and white wheat.
Contact your local MAC for more program details and find local discount schedules posted to the website.