Join a team of Michigan State University researchers to learn about organic vegetable management on Sept. 19, 2018, from 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the Kellogg Biological Station, 9701 N 40th St, Hickory Corners, MI 49060.
This is a great opportunity to interact with MSU researchers while learning about disease, insect, weed, nutrient and cover crop management in squash.
MSU researchers will also have a weed cultivation tool demonstration in an experimental squash field where you can also look at different cover crop management methods.
Registration is free and lunch is included. For more information and to register, visit the Organic Management Field Day event page. Come join us, rain or shine!
- 8:00 – 8:30 a.m. — Registration
- 8:40 – 8:55 a.m. — Introduction of OREI USDA project on organic squash production in Michigan. The project compares strip and conventional tillage. Zsofia Szendrei, MSU Department of Entomology.
- 8:55 – 9:15 a.m. — Fertility Management in Organic Systems. Zack Hayden, MSU Department of Horticulture.
- 9:20 – 9:40 a.m. — Pests and beneficials in organic squash and vegetables (insect display). Zsofia Szendrei, MSU Department of Entomology.
- 9:40 – 10:00 a.m. — Disease management in organic squash and vegetables (will show plant samples). Beth Brisco-McCann, Department of Plant, Soil and Microbial Sciences.
- 9:55 – 10:15 a.m. — Weed control in organic and strip till systems. Dan Brainard, MSU Department of Horticulture.
- 10:15 – 10:35 a.m. — Break (snacks provided). Participants can look at equipment on display from Hak, Kult Kress and Einbock.
- 10:35 – 11:15 a.m. — Equipment demonstration. Jared Scholten, territorial sales manager, Farm Power Implements: Einbock hydraulic controlled flex tine cultivator; Kult Kress: steerable tool bar; Hak: steerable tool bar; and more.
- 11:20 – 11:40 a.m. — Grafting and transplanted squash trial results from the Brainard Lab: grafted versus transplanted versus direct seeded trial.
- 11:45 – 12:05 p.m. — Cover crop demonstration and results, barley trial results. Dean Baas, MSU Extension.
- 12:10 – 1:10 p.m. — Lunch and equipment display.