Farm Bureau Insurance of Michigan is proud to lead the charge against distracted driving. Our media partners across the state have joined our efforts to educate Michigan communities about the dangers associated with distracted driving. Protecting the people of Michigan from the risks of everyday life is our mission. Calling attention to such an important issue is just one way we are sticking to our promise.
Learn More about Distracted Driving
Distracted driving is any activity with the potential to divert a person's attention from the primary task of driving. All distractions endanger driver, passenger, and bystander safety. Here are a few alarming statistics:
- Five seconds is the average time your eyes are off the road while texting. When traveling at 55 mph, that's enough time to cover the length of a football field blindfolded.
- 10% of drivers of all ages under the age of 20 involved in fatal crashes were reported as distracted at the time of the crash. This age group has the largest proportion of drivers who were distracted.
- Drivers in their 20s make up 27 percent of the distracted drivers in fatal crashes.
- 11 teens die every day because of distracted driving.
- Engaging in visual-manual subtasks (such as reaching for a phone, dialing and texting) associated with the use of hand-held phones and other portable devices (such as reaching for a phone, dialing and texting) increased the risk of getting into a crash by three times.
- 1 in 5 drivers of all ages admit to surfing the web while driving.
- In 2011, at least 23% of auto collisions involved cell phones.
- 27% of adults and 34% of teens say they text while driving. Plus, 15% of young drivers say they've seen their parent text while driving.
Distracted driving is not worth it. It’s avoidable, and warrants more help raising awareness of its dangers. That’s why Farm Bureau Insurance agents across Michigan are offering thumb bands as a reminder to keep your fingers off the phone and attention on the road. Stop into your local agents’ office to grab yours.
Fox 17 in the Grand Rapids viewing area is our new corporate sponsor.
Facts and various information found on www.distraction.gov.