Skip to main content
Michigan Farm Bureau Family of Companies

Insurance for Renters and Condo Owners

Renters and Condo Insurance 

If you rent or own a condo, your insurance needs are uniquely different from a homeowner's policy. The following coverages are available for you as a renter or condominium owner.    

What does Renters and Condo Insurance Cover?  

Some renters and condominium owners believe their possessions are covered by their landlord’s/owner’s insurance. This is rarely true. Typically, the landlord’s insurance covers loss or damage to their property, not yours. With [Renters] or [Condo insurance], you can be covered for: 

  • Replacement of stolen or damaged items (Personal Property)  
  • Personal items with special insurance needs (Scheduled Personal Articles) 
  • Injuries that occur inside your rental (Personal Liability) 
  • Claims Expenses  


Condo Insurance Coverage 

Specific to condo unit owners, coverages can be provided, on a replacement cost basis, for your appliances, fixtures, improvements, and alterations that are part of the building and contained within your residence. Separate structures owned solely by you at your location can also be covered.  

Additional coverages specific to Condo Insurance include:

  • Living expenses while your home is repaired (Loss of Use)  
  • Weather-related damages, vandalism, theft, etc. (Named Perils)  


Contact a Farm Bureau Insurance agent for all additional options available for Renters Insurance and Condo Insurance.


Flood Insurance Coverage 

Flood insurance is not commonly covered in your typical homeowner’s insurance policy, but is available to: 

  • Homeowners 
  • Renters 
  • Condo owners 
  • Commercial owners/renters 

Premiums vary widely and flood policies typically take effect 30 days after purchase. Contact an agent for assistance in obtaining flood insurance.